Monday, January 19, 2009

Candles!!!

Today I discovered a new way to have fun. It's outrageously old fashioned, but that fits me! Missy and I took a couple of candles to the back porch and started breaking them apart-using hammers! We smashed those candles into bits. I collected the bits and put them in a couple of tin cans. Then I took a glass jar, and my candle warmer-plate, stuck the jar on the plate and dropped in chunks of candles! It's melting as we speak. I'm going to layer the different colored waxes in the jar I think. Who knows, maybe I could sell candles eventually??? It is great fun though.

I think I can trace my candle fetish back to the days when I was a pioneer. Haha. I'm not THAT old! I used to volunteer at a living history museum/historical park. We would go once a week to a certain house all decked out from head to toe in pioneer costume and do different kinds of pioneer chores, while visitors watched and asked us if we were really pioneers (giggle). One of those "chores" was to make candles! We would melt the wax then dip the wick into the wax...one layer at a time! It could take 30-45 min to make a decent candle and patience was required!

I loved it though. And I love candles. And I'm excited to making them again!

1 comment:

Dianna said...

Thanks for my candle, smells pretty and looks perfect. A fun talent to have!