Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Efy Counselor Thoughts

Alright, so it's about time that I posted about efy.....

To start out with, I was an efy counselor last year. Efy (or Especially For Youth) is a program that helps teenagers come together to be with friends of their own age, standards and religion (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, or the Mormons). They come for a week and get to experience a fun, spiritual week!

As a counselor, it was my job to teach and love each of these precious youth. I think that doing efy was the best thing that I have ever done in my life. These youth.....they are so good, so wonderful, and so amazing. They have many challenges to face, and I know that they face them with faith. I had such a beautiful summer teaching...though I think I learned more than I ever taught! It was 8 weeks of beautiful bliss and blisters!!

I reapplied to be a counselor this year, and 6 weeks after my interview I was given contracts!!! So far I have 4, which I am very grateful for! I cannot wait. Seriously, I can't!! I'm so excited for it! To be in the presence of such wonderful youth and to be able to teach....I love teaching. There truly is no greater call than to teach. But more than teaching, I love to watch the youth discover the principles that I am teaching. I try to ask questions of them, make them search deep inside for the answers, so that they are comfortable in searching, comfortable in sharing, and comfortable in doing.

One of the greatest things about efy is the (almost) immediate love that I feel for each of the girls entrusted to my care. For some, it came the moment I met them. For others, I learned to love them. I felt God's love for His daughters. I was so grateful for that blessing. It was so easy to love them!

EFY is amazing. I'm so glad that I have been able to be a counselor and that I will be a counselor again this summer!!!

6 weeks and counting!!


1 comment:

Rebekah P. said...

Oh Anne, I am so excited for you! You are such a wonderful example.