Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Great Storm

Alright, so maybe the title is a bit dramatic. But, it's the first winter storm that I've actually seen this winter. So, it is Great.

I woke up to at least 6 inches of snow. I had planned to go to the Temple, but when I tried to start my car, it wouldn't start. That is always a disconcerting feeling. So I checked the oil (which has been leaking) to find that it was empty. Fabulous. So I went inside, changed into some sensible clothes and started walking to the gas station (only a block and a half away). It was fun to be on an adventure....trudging through the slushy snow. The snow was in a state of half melting half freezing, so there was slush everywhere, and where there was no slush, there was water. There was water in the gutters, water flowing over the curb and onto the side walk. It was one blissful lake of slushy water.

Crossing the street proved to be the trickiest bit of business, for one could not get close to the curb without water splashing up to the ankles, let alone jump the puddle-lake. So splash and jump I tried. I got a little wet, and I pretended I was a pioneer.

When water and slush cover everything, you can't really tell where anything is. At one point on my great adventure, I mistook a gutter for the sidewalk. You can imagine the shock I received when icy water reached my lower calves and filled my boot. I laughed though. I was surprised that I laughed! This adventure was still fun.

I bought my oil and went home to fill my car.

And it still wouldn't start.

So I called a friend and begged a ride to work.

This morning I went out and tried to start my car. I was thinking that I might have to have it towed.

I placed the key in the ignition...

and turned it.

IT STARTED!

:D



No comments: