Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Beethoven

I hate playing Beethoven when I'm not in the mood. It's just so irritating. Don't get me wrong, I love Beethoven-with a passion. But I just wasn't in the mood today and "woodshedding" Beethoven on a decidedly non-Beethoven day is the WORST! The dynamic changes are aich'n provoking and those 32nd notes....atrocious! How can anyone play those??? I haven't even mentioned the dissonances and those minor 7th chords. Beethoven was mad. To expect anyone to play that...it's unbelievable!! Not to mention the string crossings...*sigh*

And yet....

His level of emotion is so amazingly intense! Each time I play a phrase or a movement I feel...I feel pain, anger, joy, frustration or peace. Who he is, and what he was feeling comes out through the music he wrote. Beethoven can never die as long as his music is still played. I die again and again when I listen to his music. That may sound weird, but it's true. I love Beethoven. But, I hate him. It's a great relationship :D

No comments: